03 April 2015

#2GETHERWEAREBETTER Linky My Schedule

I love the idea of this LINKY and have found so much great information just browsing through all the other schedules in this LINKY. #togetherwearebetter

I teach kindergarten at a Title 1 school in Georgia. I have 17 students in my class and I have a paraprofessional. Yes, I know I am spoiled and will never have this small of a class ever again! 
Here is a very basic look at my schedule.

Here are some details for each part of my day. 

Yes, students start to arrive at 7:15 and at 7:15 I am most likely drinking an Iced Caramel Machiatto from Starbucks (again, yes I realize I am spoiled....) and waiting for it to kick in while smiling and greeting each student as they walk in the classroom.
Students immediately take their folders out of their bookbags, put their bookbags in their cubbies, make their lunch choice and their free center choice (they go there in the afternoon, but I have them make their choice in the morning) and then they go to breakfast if they did not eat at home. 

Others are completing morning work which is usually some kind of review that I have noticed my students need and they are also responded to a picture of the day by writing and drawing a picture. Once they complete their morning work students can get an iPad or get on a laptop and go to one of many choices posted in the classroom while using the devices. 

Here are some examples of the Picture of the Day photographs I often project onto our whiteboard to increase knowledge and vocabulary on this topic. 

You can see on the back of the cubbies (that I sponge painted purple) I have a pocket chart hanging. It has laminated cards with student names/numbers on the front and then a magnet is on the back of each card. The board next to it is magnetic and it is separated into lunch choices 1,2,3 and the bottom is where students place their card if they brought their lunch from home. Removing their card from the pocket chart is also I way for me to see easily to complete attendance of who is here and who is not. I will have to take a better picture after Spring Break, this is just one I had on my computer. 
 Computers and iPads for after morning work:



This is the chart I use for students to make their Free Center choice in the morning. I have adapted it and added many centers with photographs of specific things I have and I use photographs of students instead of what it shows in this picture. I bought my chart at reallygoodstuff.com, but I just looked an I don't see it there anymore. :( I love this chart, it is one designed by Debbie Diller - she is so good!!




For Morning Meeting we greet each other with many random fun greetings I've come up with or seen others use and then we very briefly look at calendar, the date, and upcoming events for the month.



Writing is my absolute favorite part of the day! I enjoy seeing how students express themselves during writing. They each want to tell you something and talk to you. Writing time gives them a way to tell talk to you and it lets you get to know your students a little better each and every day by reading their thoughts on paper. 
I love using technology to publish writing as well. I have written blog posts about using blabberize, voki, and morpho to publish writing. So fun!
One very important thing for writing in kindergarten is having a Word Wall with words that are visible from all parts of the classroom! They must be able to see the words you are asking them to write!!! 


We use F and P (Fountas and Pinnell) to guide our Phonics mini lessons and then include these along with other resources in our Literacy Centers. During this time my para monitors students working at centers, while I call groups that are ability grouped based on their running record level to come to my kidney shaped table for guided reading. 
I use lots of guided reading tools and I have students write about the stories we read in Reading Logs (a notebook) after enjoying a story.
Guided Reading Tools:


We work on Science for one or two weeks and then we work on Social Studies for one or two weeks and rotate them out. We also try to integrate Science/S.S. into literacy centers and writing when possible. 


Number Talks!! So important and so quick. We use subitizing cards, ten frames and rekenreks during this time. I have the perfect Rekenrek Task Cards for number talks. 

For Whole Group Math, we usually introduce a new concept and use the Georgia Frameworks, or a game, and also use Van De Walle

Yum!

Fun!


I have my Math groups ability grouped based on assessments and have each station differentiated for the different groups. 

I color code folders within tubs to differentiate activities. 

I mentioned Debbie Diller earlier and seriously, if you have not read her math stations, literacy stations and even her room organization books- you should! I actually just let another teacher at my school borrow them all for Spring Break! :)








I try to come up with things that are very relevant and interesting for students during this time. I like to have new choices for students as the year goes on. 
We recently turned kitchen/house keeping into an ice cream shop and students LOVE IT!



We have computer/library every other week.
Wednesdays we do not have a special and I usually plan a craft for students to complete during this time.
Sadly, we have music and art every other week :( 
Bring back the arts!!

And that' it folks! 
Thanks for joining us for a day!


Share:

5 comments

  1. Wow Casey! What a GREAT post!! Thanks so much for linking up with us . . . I, too, LOVE Debbie Diller!! <3

    Ashley
    Schroeder Shenanigans in 2nd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words! Now, I want to reread the Debbie Diller books I have, she has so much great information I bet I could find something new to use in my classroom.

      Delete
  2. This is a very nice post filled with information! Your classroom looks really cute! Thanks for linking up with us!
    Mrs. Olson’s Lucky Little Learners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am really enjoying this linkup. Everyone has such great things to share and we can all learn from one another! Great idea!

      Delete
  3. Where did you find your pocket chart? Ive been looking everywhere for it!

    ReplyDelete

BRANDING + BLOG DESIGN BY LAUGH EAT LEARN