31 March 2015

Tech Tip Tuesday- QR Codes!

I am linking up with Techie Turtle Teacher for Tech Tip Tuesday to talk about QR Codes!


I love using QR Codes for math stations, literacy centers, listening centers, and even during writing for research.

Yes, you have to have a tablet, iPad, iPod, or phone with a camera in order to use QR Codes. I have written many DonorsChoose projects to get the ones I use in my classroom, but you may want to consider sending a letter home to parents to donate old phones, etc. that have a camera capability that you could use in your class. You know everyone has to have the next "new" thing when it comes out and they may have their old phone of device lying around. Smart phones are basically small computers and can do many things.
Look how this school system posted about a Smartphone Giveback Program.


Now, let's talk about how I make QR Codes. I use QRStuff.com and this site is super easy to use and FREE!

On the site you have many options to choose from.

I usually use either plain text or website url depending on what I am want my students to accomplish with the QR Codes.

I use the plain text option for quick answers to questions that they will solve and then use the QR Code to check their answer.
I use the website url if I want students to view a specific website. I always use safeshare.tv before creating a link for students to view youtube videos etc. Safeshare will allow you to view the site without commercials. There is nothing worse than when you are trying to watch an educational video and suddenly a beer commercial pops up on the screen! ugh! So, as a side note, safeshare.tv is also great to use when you are just viewing videos projected up on the screen for the whole class not just for qrcodes. :)

My most recent products and uses of the QR Codes have been this set of QR Codes for Researching Zoo Animals! This is perfect for the little ones and allows for "guided" instead of letting them loose on the entire internet, the QRCodes take them to specific videos about the animal they are researching When I introduced these QRCodes and this activity I first modeled how to find the QR Code Reader App on the iPad (I use i-nigma) and then we talked about while listening and watching the video you can pause the video to take notes and write down interesting facts you learned. They really enjoyed this activity! I am now on my way to making more sets with different topics we can research!

The link to the product is HERE!



Here are some other ways I use QR Codes in my class:











Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

BRANDING + BLOG DESIGN BY LAUGH EAT LEARN